A brief guide to GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation)
What is GDPR and why should you care about it?
GDPR stands for General Data Protection Regulation. It’s a new regulation act imposed to improve privacy and data security for residents of the European Union and the European Economic Area. It regulates the personal data used by third parties. What counts as personal data? According to the European Commission, “any information relating to an individual, whether it relates to his or her private, professional or public life comes under the terms of personal data”, It can be anything from a name, a photo, a home address, an email address, posts on social networking websites, bank details, medical information, or a personal computer’s IP address.”
The Information Commissioner’s Office states that GDPR provides the following individual rights to residents of the European Union and the European Economic Area:
- The right to be informed
- The right of access
- The right to rectification
- The right to erasure
- The right to restrict processing
- The right to data portability
- The right to object
- Rights to automated decision making and profiling.
Being from the US, Canada, or any other non-European country, the update in privacy policies of a company may not be a major concern for you but DTANGO has clients from all over the world including some of the major European countries which makes it necessary for us to comply with GDPR. This means that it is important to notify our clients regarding any updates on privacy policies. Besides, GDPR stop companies from using all the legalese in their privacy policies and terms and conditions. Also, the agreements should be in a standard language that can be understood by anyone.
GDPR is highly beneficial for clients across the world and is a great step towards protecting personal data so that nobody can misuse it for their benefits.
Does DTANGO comply with GDPR?
DTANGO works completely in compliance with GDPR and therefore has taken certain measures toward this:
- Ensuring consent for any marketing opt-ins on the DTANGO website
- Adding consent for cookie tracking on the DTANGO website
- Following best practicesfor data security and storage
- Ensuring the access to data as it can be restored via backups anytime needed
- Regularly updating privacy policies.
- Giving full access to the clients of what information we have about them and giving them rights to update their information anytime they want.
- Training our team for best data storing and privacy policies.